Skip to main content

How to stop Internet Explorer prompting for username and password with SSRS

Stopping Internet Explorer prompting for username and password when you connect to SQL Server Reporting Services (when the SSRS server  is on the local Intranet (hint, hint)) could be one of those problems that you never end up resolving. No matter what you change, every time you close IE and open it again it prompts you to log in. This can drive you, and possibly more importantly your customers, around the bend.

Click to enbiggen


For information we are running SSRS 2012 with SSL enabled, browsing to a FQDN, eg. https://reportserver01.domain.local/Reports/ using IE 8 or 9.

There are so many web pages that deal with this and any one of them could work for you - it's a matter of trial and error working through the suggestions.

I had this issue today  but against all odds I managed to resolve it. Turns out to be pretty simple but it may not work for you. If not there are some links at the bottom of this post that may or may not help.

If the SSRS server is on your local intranet it is a matter of adding it into the Local Intranet zone in IE:

Internet Options à Security à  Local Intranetà Sites à Advanced à Add the URL

Click to enbiggen

Hope this helps somebody.
Paul

Links:










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to move the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) database to a different drive

The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is a very useful tool for scanning your network to find instances of SQL Server plus all manner of detailed information about the installed product, OS and hardware it sits on.


<Click image to enbiggen>
There is an issue with it the database it uses to store the data it collects, however. Assuming you don't have an instance called MAPS on your server, the product will install using LocalDB (a cut down version of SQL Server Express) and puts the databases on your C: drive. If you then scan a large network you could easily expand the database to 10GB which may cause issues on a server when that drive is often one of the smallest. However, there is a simple solution: connect to LocalDB using Management Studio, detach the databases, move to a different drive, set permissions on the new location if required and reattach the database. How do you connect to LocalDB? Here you go:

Connect to (localdb)\MAPTOOLKIT


The databases I move…

SAN performance testing using SQLIO

Introduction
This document describes how to use Microsoft’s SQLIO to test disk/SAN performance. It is biased towards SQL Server – which uses primarily 64KB and 8KB data pages so I am running the tests using those cluster sizes, however, other sizes can be specified.  Download SQLIO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20163 SQLIO is a command line tool with no GUI so you need to open a command prompt at C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLIO after you have installed it. Configuration First of all edit param.txt so that you create the test file we will be using. The file needs to be bigger than the combined RAID and on-board disk caches. In this case we are using a 50GB file.
The “2” refers to the number of threads to use when testing, you don’t need to change this now. The “0x0” value indicates that all CPUs should be used, which you probably don’t want to change either, “#” is a comment. The only part you may want to change is 51200 (50GB) and the drive letter. After …

SSIS Job fails when it calls Excel via the SQL Agent but succeeds from SSDT

If you have an SSIS package which fails when run on a schedule but succeeds when executed interactively in Visual Studio/BIDS/SSDT, it may produce an error like this:
Executed as user: DOMAIN\user. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility  Version 12.0.4100.1 for 64-bit  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.    Started:  10:52:25  Error: 2017-02-06 10:52:26.26     Code: 0x00000001     Source: Open Spreadsheet and Run Macro      Description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.  End Error  DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).  Started:  10:52:25  Finished: 10:52:26  Elapsed:  0.485 seconds.  The package execution failed.  The step failed.
The issue is a type of permissions error. Excel needs to have its permissions changed via the DCOM applet in Control Panel. By default it is on “The launching user.” This needs to be changed to a user with more permissions, in this case we have used the service account used by SQL A…