Skip to main content

Show all the installed SQL instances on a server

Have you ever wondered if there was more than one instance of SQL Server installed on a physical server but didn’t know how to find out quickly? Well this piece of TSQL below should help which uses the undocumented stored procedure xp_regread. It can be run from the default instance or any of the named instances and will return a value similar to the screen shot below:

DECLARE @ShowAllSQLInstances TABLE
(
       Value NVARCHAR(100)
       ,InstanceNames NVARCHAR(100)
       ,Data NVARCHAR(100)
       )
 
INSERT INTO @ShowAllSQLInstances
EXECUTE xp_regread @rootkey = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'
       ,@key = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server'
       ,@value_name = 'InstalledInstances'

SELECT InstanceNames
FROM @ShowAllSQLInstances


Click to enlarge











[This piece of code is ideal for a Snippet.]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to move the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) database to a different drive

The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is a very useful tool for scanning your network to find instances of SQL Server plus all manner of detailed information about the installed product, OS and hardware it sits on.


<Click image to enbiggen>
There is an issue with it the database it uses to store the data it collects, however. Assuming you don't have an instance called MAPS on your server, the product will install using LocalDB (a cut down version of SQL Server Express) and puts the databases on your C: drive. If you then scan a large network you could easily expand the database to 10GB which may cause issues on a server when that drive is often one of the smallest. However, there is a simple solution: connect to LocalDB using Management Studio, detach the databases, move to a different drive, set permissions on the new location if required and reattach the database. How do you connect to LocalDB? Here you go:

Connect to (localdb)\MAPTOOLKIT


The databases I move…

How to configure the SSAS service to use a Domain Account

NB Updating SPNs in AD is not for the faint hearted plus I got inconsistent results from different servers. Do so at your own risk! If you need the SSAS account on a SQL Server to use a domain account rather than the local “virtual” account “NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService”. You may think you just give the account login permissions to the server, perhaps give it sysadmin SQL permissions too. However, if you try and connect to SSAS remotely you may get this error:

Authentication failed. (Microsoft.AnalysisService.AdomdClient) The target principal name is incorrect (Microsoft.AnalysisService.AdomdClient)

From Microsoft: “A Service Principle Name (SPN) uniquely identifies a service instance in an Active Directory domain when Kerberos is used to mutually authenticate client and service identities. An SPN is associated with the logon account under which the service instance runs. For client applications connecting to Analysis Services via Kerberos authentication, the Analysis Services clien…

SSIS Job fails when it calls Excel via the SQL Agent but succeeds from SSDT

If you have an SSIS package which fails when run on a schedule but succeeds when executed interactively in Visual Studio/BIDS/SSDT, it may produce an error like this:
Executed as user: DOMAIN\user. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility  Version 12.0.4100.1 for 64-bit  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.    Started:  10:52:25  Error: 2017-02-06 10:52:26.26     Code: 0x00000001     Source: Open Spreadsheet and Run Macro      Description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.  End Error  DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).  Started:  10:52:25  Finished: 10:52:26  Elapsed:  0.485 seconds.  The package execution failed.  The step failed.
The issue is a type of permissions error. Excel needs to have its permissions changed via the DCOM applet in Control Panel. By default it is on “The launching user.” This needs to be changed to a user with more permissions, in this case we have used the service account used by SQL A…